I have always made the case about offenses selling tickets and defenses winning championships. It appears that the Packers didn’t get the memo. I’m sure I sent it. Ok maybe I didn’t send it to them. What do you want from me? I have some bias!! Report me if you want.
The Packers are the latest offensive juggernaut to be asked to watch the remaining of the tournament on television. Did you see it coming? Are you surprised? I did and I’m not! The Packers were a flawed team. In their only loss of the season to the K.C Chiefs, they were exposed. When they played a physical team with a good front four, defensive backs that can play man coverage, and linebackers that are athletic, they got beat. Sounds like the Giants to me. Defensively, I can’t understand why they were so bad, but wow they were so bad. The 98 Vikings were the same team. Play out front. Give up a bunch of yards. Win by 2 touchdowns! The problem is when the game slows down and every possession starts to matter, you need a running game to sustain drives and a defense that can get off the field. I hear people saying that they didn’t play like they had played all year and thats why they lost. Uh they did play like they played all year and that formula didn’t get them past round 1. The Giants beat them up physically and if not for some questionable calls, the score would have been worse!
My 3 Things…. Plus 1
1) The Saints – 49ers game was the best playoff game I’ve seen in a long time. In the end the Saints ( another offensive juggernaut) had the same problem the Packers had. They couldn’t get a stop when they really needed one. Under a minute to go and 80 yards away and Alex Smith leads the team down to get the game winning touchdown? Not a tying field goal. A touchdown! Alex Smith? Really? Go to your room!
2) Joe Flacco almost cost the Ravens a chance to play this weekend! If not for the studs they have on the other side of the ball, they would be done. How many times on 3rd and 3, are you going to throw the ball 25 yards down the sideline Joe? Move the chains! You got the ball on the 50 yard line and punted from the 45. Are you kidding me? Even Trent Dilfer would have gotten a field goal out of that. Manage the game and stop trying to prove you’re an elite quarterback. You aren’t! Yeah I Said it!
3) Tebow!!!! I couldn’t keep watching the destruction so I turned to a movie to occupy me. Shooter with Mark Wahlberg. Ok movie but Mark is best suited for behind the camera. Ok where was I?? Oh yeah, the beat down that the Patriots put on the Broncos and Tebow. You saw it, so no need for me to pile on. As I mentioned in my previous post, I am rooting for the guy. Is this offseason and training camp going to help? Can he learn to read defenses from the pocket? What about that throwing motion? I’m not betting against the guy and I am sincerely hoping he gets a lot better. Why? Because its great to see a guy who has no earthly business playing quarterback in the NFL, playing quarterback in the NFL!
The Patriots are the last of the all offense, no defense teams left in the playoffs. They are playing the Ravens and the aforementioned train wreck that is Joe Flacco. The difference with the Patriots is that they can hurt you in so many ways offensively. The tight ends are a match up nightmare and Wes Welker is basically they’re running game. Even though they spread teams out with 4 and 5 receivers, they really aren’t in a hurry. They can get you 7 yards at a time. If you punt, you’re in deep trouble. Some advice for Flacco… when you have a chance on 3rd and 3, you best just pick up the first down! Tom Brady is an elite quarterback and if you play like you did last week… you can join the rest of us couch potatoes! Yeah I said it!
Greetings all. Welcome to 2012!
When last I wrote, several teams where seen packing up for the year and 8 teams were ready to make a run for the Lombardi Trophy. I noticed 3 things over the weekend and it wouldn’t be a blog if I didn’t share…
1) Are we finally ready to say that Matt Ryan is a disappointment? Elite Quarterbacks don’t produce 2 points in a playoff game! The Falcons are built to win now. They have a defense, a running game, and above average receivers. So why are they done? 2 points points? Come on Matt, step up your game! On a side note… I think Ray Edwards is stealing money. He got paid big in free agency and he was an absolute bust. Built like Tarzan, playing like Jane, (no disrespect to Jane), she’s not trying to play defensive end. Kudos to the Vikings for recognizing he was all about the money. 8 sacks playing with Jared Allen got him huge money from the Falcons. Fraud! Finally… Eli Manning is not Peyton’s brother anymore. He’s Eli Manning!
2) The Texans are going to win a Super Bowl before the Cowboys. They lost their best defensive player, (Mario Williams). They played 9 games without their best offensive player, (Andre Johnson) and are starting their 3rd string quarterback, somebody named TJ Yates. They will not win the Super Bowl this year but this team is loaded and will need to be dealt with for many years to come. “Americas Team”, the Cowboys, are in serious trouble. The roster is full of me first players, a meddling owner, and a Quarterback that despite numbers that suggest eliteness, has proven to be more Danny White, than Troy Aikman. They lack discipline on both sides of the ball and week to week seemed to be trying to figure out what kind of identity they want to roll with.
3) TEBOW!!!!!! I can’t explain it but I am rooting for this guy! It’s crazy but he is a winner. Plain and simple. I watched that game against the Steelers and I saw his coaches trying to play it safe in the 2nd half. When you lose 7-3 to the Chiefs the week before, I knew that after getting the lead 20-6 at halftime, Coach Fox was going to pull the plug on the offense. The Steelers weren’t going to lay down,(they’re champions) so of course they came back. But this guy did not flinch. Unbelievable! That throwing motion is awful. He throws the ugliest ball in the league. That accuracy is inconsistent, balls bouncing 8 yards in front of receivers. He can only read one side of the field from the pocket. Did I mention that he’s built like a linebacker?? But he really did throw for over 300 yards and an 80 yard touchdown pass in overtime. His team is headed to New England to play the Patriots this weekend. I will never bet for or against him but I will be rooting for him. I just wish I knew why!
Tebow!!!!! Yeah I Said It!
Today ‘s games marked the end of a very long season for a lot of teams. Which franchise would you want to be running right now?
The Vikings? Is Cristian Ponder an offensive line from being the franchise quarterback, or is he Kyle Boller? How about the Rams? Do you really believe firing their coach and a healthy Sam Bradford is the answer for a 2 win season? Maybe you believe Cleveland is a happy Peyton Hillis and a healthy Colt McCoy away from the playoffs? What’s next for the Buccaneers? The team that got its head coach fired because they quit on him has serious leadership issues. Someone in that locker room needs to step up! Where are you Josh? How about you Kellen? The Bills? Interesting. Is it me or did they jump the gun with Fitzpatrick? Could be me… but I’m going with definitely jumped the gun. Did the Raiders just break the NFL record for most penalties again?! Is Carson Palmer a winner? Hmmm…Make the case and we’ll discuss. Blaine Gabbert is worse than Christian Ponder. The Jaguars are lost.
Based on their relevance at the moment, the Minnesota Vikings earn only a short assessment. They have some work to do. My goodness, who are they? Is it on Leslie Frazier? Don’t forget, you were all on board when number 4 and the convoy came rolling in. Something about championship window was uttered. Oh you do remember don’t you? That means wins and a chance to go to the bowl. Woohoo! The downside is its short term and last I checked, players don’t get younger. The Offensive line needs more talent. The receiving corps needs more talent. More talent is needed in the the defensive backfield. All together now…. they need more talent! And finally…Please find a position for Everson Griffen and never take him off the field!!!! Lets see…you need talent on the defense…hmmm. Fire Musgrave immediately! Yeah, I said it!
Whew, sorry about that.. Just another purple fan working through it.
Lets talk about the positives…the Playoffs are here. Will it be the offenses of the Packers, Saints, Patriots?…. Maybe you’re thinking defense? Do you think the Steelers or Ravens have enough? Is running the football and playing field position the formula? If so, does that mean the Falcons have a chance? Is it Tebow time? Really? I’m a sucker for a good story and this is a good one. John Fox called a horrible game today. 7-3 with the playoffs on the line? Seriously? Playoffs??!! We’re talking about Playoffs??! Giants, Cowboys… yeah and?? Ah yes… here comes the Detroit Lions! I know it was the last game but did Matt Flynn really throw for 480 and 6 touchdowns? I’m sorry, Matt Flynn? Interesting. Can the 49ers score enough?
If you think offense then you’re thinking Packers Vs Patriots? They are the same team aren’t they? Close enough. Wouldn’t that be good? The purest in me says there’s no chance 2 teams that play no defense make it to the Super Bowl!! Defense wins championship right? But Flacco, and an injured Ben has me second guessing myself. I need a couple of days to gather my thoughts before I can come up with my take.
Happy New Year